Apple and Orange Cinnamon Cake
Updated: Jan 13, 2019
Fresh orange juice and orange zest flavours mixed with mellow and smooth texture of baked apples. All topped up with crunchy cinnamon and sugar mixture.
One of our favourite quick bakes. The cake is full of flavour and fits well with all seasons. You can serve with confectioners' sugar, Crème Anglaise or a scoop of favourite vanilla ice-cream.
Yield: 1 cake, 16 portions
Active time: 20 minutes prep + 50 minutes baking
Tin: 21cm round
- 2 cups* (300g) all-purpose flour
- 120g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup (140g) white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (125ml) clear orange juice, room temperature
- orange zest from 1 orange
*cup @ Bruni Bakery = 250ml cup
- 2 large apples, peeled and cut into 1/8th slices
- 30g melted butter
- 1/4 cup (50g) white granulated sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Line baking tin with parchment paper.
2. Sift flour with baking powder. Set aside.
3. Beat butter with sugar until creamy (5 minutes on high speed). Add vanilla extract, orange zest and mix until combined. Add eggs, one at a time and mix until creamy. Take wooden spoon or spatula as the rest of ingredients need to be gently mixed in. Start adding sifted flour (from step 2) - do it in two steps alternating with orange juice (flour-juice-flour-juice). Gently stir with wooden spoon, mix only until combined and the texture looks creamy.
4. Pour batter into the baking tin. Place chopped apples on top of the cake gently pressing into the batter. You can sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs.
5. Bake at 160C for 45-50 minutes. Check with chopstick if fully baked through.
6. Once baked take out from the oven and spread melted butter on top of the warm cake. Sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon mixture.
7. Tastes well when accompanied by Creme Anglaise or your favourite Vanilla Ice-Cream.