Homemade Strawberry Waffles
Updated: Dec 21, 2018
Before making this waffle check out few hints which you may find useful:
This recipe is full of strawberry flavour by using few simple tricks.
Freeze dried strawberries in the batter create fresh, fruity flavour. Pearl sugar brings out the sweetness and caramel flavour.
All in all: crisp, airy waffles, chunky and full of strawberry flavour.
Yield: 15 waffles
Active time: 10 minutes prep + 30 min cooling + 3 minutes baking
Equipment: waffle maker
- 2 cups* full-fat milk, straight from fridge
- 2/3 cup kefir, straight from fridge
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons pearl sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, straight from the fridge
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries, powdered
- 2/3 cup freeze dried strawberries, pieces
*cup = 250ml tea cup
1. Blend 1 cup of freeze dried strawberries into powder. Set aside.
2. On low heat melt the butter, set aside to cool. Sift flour with baking powder. Add milk, kefir, sugar, pearl sugar, vanilla, egg, salt and mix together. Add melted butter. At the end add powdered strawberries and 2/3 cup of freeze dried strawberries (strawberry pieces). You want here fairly thick (heavy cream) consistency, which is going to set even further in the fridge. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking (don’t skip that step).
3. Preheat waffle maker (5-10 minutes) and bake until golden and crispy.
4. Serve with toppings of your choice: fresh strawberries, whipped double cream, chocolate, pink/white mini marshmallows etc.
1. Texture - play with texture by using ‘Rich and crisp’ waffle recipe. You can find it here:
Just add powdered freeze dried strawberries, powdered freeze dried strawberry pieces and pearl sugar and mix until all ingredients are combined. You can also use batter created from this recipe to make baked strawberry waffle mini bundt cakes. You can find directions here: