Peach yogurt muffins
Updated: Aug 27, 2019
Soft and airy muffins filled with chunky pieces of mellow peaches. Muffins are baked on oil and yogurt - first ingredient keeps muffins fresh for longer and second one contributes to light and fluffy texture. The muffin is not too sweet and only lightly spiced. You can replace peaches with coarsely chopped apples, full cherries, blueberries, coarsely chopped fresh plums.
The joy here is in use of large pieces of fruit. You want to taste chunky, mellow fruit pieces here. Muffin mix from this recipe is well able to lift the fruit without underbaked streaks of batter. To guarantee the fruit is evenly distributed - rather than mixing the fruit into the muffin mix, press in the chunky pieces once the batter is in the muffin cases. No need to toss fruit in the cornflour.
It’s a quick bake. First you will mix all dry ingredients, then wet ingredients and combine both. For a good bake here make sure you are using ingredients at room temperature. You may opt to place eggs in a bowl of warm water 5 minutes before using, warm up yogurt to 21C. Once wet and dry ingredients are combined don’t over-mix the batter - few gentle stirs with wooden spoon or spatula will do. The batter will be thick - this is needed to hold fruit in place and to avoid underbaked streaks of batter. Don’t worry though - the texture will be airy. If you are a fan of buttery flavour - you can replace 100ml of oil with 115g melted, unsalted butter (muffins will keep fresh for longer when baked on oil).
Peach yogurt muffins recipe
Yield: 10 muffins
Time: 15 min prep + 25 min baking
Tin: muffin tray or jumbo muffin tray
- 300g (2 cups*) all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 1/5 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp (115g) granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 100ml (2/5 cup) sunflower oil, room temperature
- 250g (1 cup) greek** or natural yogurt, room temperature
- 4 peaches, room temperature and coarsely chopped
Cinnamon Streusel (optional):
- 100g (2/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsps (45g) white granulated sugar or caster sugar
- 2 Tbsps (30g) vanilla sugar (optional - if you can’t get it increase sugar to 5 Tbsps)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 80g unsalted butter, melted
*cup= 250ml cup
** if using greek yogurt - add 1 Tbsp (15ml) milk or buttermilk to wet ingredients
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line muffin tray with muffin cases.
2. Prepare dry ingredients: Whisk flour with sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg (if using). Set aside.
3. Prepare wet ingredients: In a separate bowl whisk egg and egg yolk, add yogurt and with steady streak start adding oil continuously mixing.
4. Prepare Cinnamon Streusel (optional): Whisk flour with sugar, vanilla sugar (if using), cinnamon. Add melted, lukewarm butter and give it few stirs until crumbly texture is achieved. Set aside.
5. Combine: Add half of dry ingredients (from Step 2) to wet ingredients (from Step 3), gently stir using wooden spoon or spatula (few gentle moves, don’t over-mix). Add the remaining half of dry ingredients and gently mix in. The batter will be thick. Fill muffin cases 2/3rd high. Press in coarsely chopped peaches. Apply Cinnamon Streusel if using (from Step 4).
6. Bake at 180C for 25 minutes. Check with the skewer if fully baked through. Once baked, leave in the muffin trays for 5 minutes then transfer to the cooling rack. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.