Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
Updated: Dec 3, 2018
This is one of our favourite cookies. We have to admit we love peanut butter! The recipe combines our favourite All Butter cookie (this time with salted butter) with peanut butter and chocolate.
If you watched the movie Meet Joe Black and the scene with Brad Pitt having his peanut butter moment..... yes, that’s the reaction we are going for! :)
Salted Butter Wafer Cookie:
- 1 and 1/2 cups* all-purpose flour
- 180g Irish salted butter, cold and cut into 1cm square dice pieces
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
*cup = 250ml tea cup
- Reese’s smooth peanut butter or Homemade Peanut Butter**
- 50 ml Double Cream
- 150g Dark Chocolate + sea salt to sprinkle on top
1. For the Butter Wafer Cookie: Put all the ingredients into food processor fitted with the knife blade attachment and pulse until just combined but still crumbly. Alternatively you can use pastry cutter or use your hands to form crumbly texture (same quick move you make when your hands are cold - but be quick at it as you don't want to melt the butter). Transfer crumbly texture into work surface and with few quick moves form the dough. Divide the dough in two and form two flat disc shapes, wrap in a cling film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Once the dough is ready, roll out on the lightly floured surface into 0.5cm thick rectangle. Cut the cookie shapes. Transfer onto the baking tray. Bake for 12 minutes at 170C or until golden brown. Once baked leave on the baking tray for 15 minutes before transferring to the cooling rack.
3. Once cookie wafers are cooled apply 1 generous teaspoon of peanut butter on one wafer and twist with the second wafer so that you get peanut butter to fill all the space between cookies (be gentle at it). Set aside.
4. Prepare Ganache: in a small pot mix 50ml double cream with 150g dark chocolate. Set aside once smooth consistency is achieved. Dip the top of the cookie in chocolate ganache, transfer to the cooling rack or cling film and sprinkle with sea salt.
1. **You may opt to prepare your own peanut butter at home: roast 200g of peanuts (@180C for 15-18 minutes) until golden brown. Transfer to the food processor, add 1 tablespoon salted butter, 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (would recommend to grind/mill granulated white sugar into fine powder to avoid starchy after-taste), add salt to taste, you may opt to add 1 more tablespoon of powdered sugar to taste. Grind in the food process until smooth consistency is achieved (open and stir occasionally in the first 3 minutes). This will take some 5 minutes. If your peanut butter still looks too thick (all depends on the nuts) you can add 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil. Pour into sterilised jar, close tightly and transfer to the cool place. Homemade Peanut Butter would need to be prepared at least 24 hours in advance as you want it to set before applying the filling onto the cookie wafer. The peanut butter can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 months (bring it to room temperature before serving).