Sour cream and jam chocolate cake
Soft and airy chocolate loaf cake filled with dark chocolate, vanilla and spices. Sour cream mixed with jam are lifting chocolate flavour but also keep moisture and softness intact. Chocolate is the leading flavour here, then you will get hints of vanilla, sweet and salty notes, spices and at the end, moisture and gentle notes coming from the flavour of jam. Don’t forget to top this chocolate cake up with delicious sour cream milk chocolate ganache!
For a good bake:
- Use eggs at room temperature and beat with sugar until pale and fluffy (about 4 minutes).
- Jam - use smooth, thick jam. Raspberry, strawberry, blackberry, blackcurrant, orange, rose petal - all complement this chocolate cake really well.
- Sour cream and jam - mix together before adding to the cake and make sure this mixture is at room temperature.
- Temperature - preheat your oven to high temperature (200C/180C fan) and lower to 165C (145C fan) once the cake is in the oven. This chocolate loaf cake will crack when baking. Don’t cover the top with aluminium foil.
This cake is my mum’s regular bake. We have a lot of fond memories linked with this one - it’s easy, enjoyable, quick bake which disappears in a flash. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we do!
Sour cream and jam chocolate loaf cake recipe
Yield: 16 servings
Time: 25 min prep + 60 min baking
Tin: 10cmx20cm loaf tin (2lb) or 8cmx28cm (8cm tall) loaf tin
- 200g dark chocolate, 70% Cocoa
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 250g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt (1/2 tsp if using table salt)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 Tbsp (7g) Dutch Cocoa
- 200g sour cream, room temperature
- 100g jam, room temperature (see note above)
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g light brown sugar
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
For sour cream chocolate ganache:
- 100g milk chocolate, melted
- 100g sour cream
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Brush baking tin with thin layer of butter, line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. Prepare chocolate: Melt chocolate and mix with melted butter until combined. Set aside to cool.
3. Prepare dry ingredients: Sift flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, dutch cocoa.
4. Whisk sour cream with jam until smooth. Set aside to reach room temperature.
5. Combine: In your main mixing bowl beat eggs (whisk attachment) for 2 minutes until fluffy, start adding caster sugar and light brown sugar (1 Tbsp at a time). Mix for about 3 minutes until pale and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix for few seconds. Change to paddle attachment (mix on low speed) or mix on lowest speed using handheld mixer. In a steady stream start adding melted chocolate mixed with butter. Mix until incorporated. Add half of jam and sour cream, mix gently until combined, add half of flour, mix only until combined. Then add the remaining sour cream/jam, mix and finish with the remaining part of flour (mix only until combined, don’t over-mix). Transfer cake batter to the tin and level.
6. Bake: Place the cake in the oven and decrease the temperature to 165C (145C fan). Bake for 60 minutes. Check with skewer if fully baked through. When done, cool at room temperature for 25 minutes before removing from the tin and placing on the cooling rack to cool completely.
7. Prepare sour cream chocolate ganache: Melt chocolate and mix with sour cream until combined. Decorate the cake.