Galette is a buttery and flaky pastry with a sweet or savoury filling. No baking tins needed. The dough is rolled out flat and then folded and pleated around the filling. It's rustic in looks and full of flavour inside. As The New York Times wrote in one of its culinary reviews: "A pie is homey. A tart is fancy. And a Galette splits the difference, but is easier than either one".
In this version, warm buttery crust is complimented by juicy strawberries and crunchy pecan nuts. Pearl sugar is adding subtle caramel notes and a bit of crunch to the texture.
What more can you wish for when spring and summer berries are in season. Scoop of ice-cream maybe - to top it up :)
Strawberry and Pecan Galette Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
Time: 15 min prep + 30min dough chilling + 15 min prep + 25-30 min baking
Tin: large baking tray
For galette dough:
- 1 cup* (150g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) strong wholemeal flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon (15g) sugar
- 115g unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 3-4 Tablespoons (45-60ml) ice cold water
For the filling:
- 50g pecans or walnuts
- 350g strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon (15g) sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon - optional
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) pearl sugar
*cup = 250ml cup
- 1 Tablespoon apricot or peach jam mixed with 2 teaspoons hot water
1. Prepare galette dough: Mix all-purpose and wholemeal flour with salt and sugar. Add cold butter and using pastry cutter or food processor work in butter until crumbly texture is formed. During this process start adding 1 Tablespoon of ice cold water at a time. You want to achieve here crumbly texture (not too wet and not too dry) - you may need only 3 Tbsps of water depending on type of flours used. Transfer crumbly dough onto lightly floured work surface and pat it into rectangular shape. Using the heel of your hand smear long strips of dough away from you and across the work surface. Collect the smeared dough and move it back to the starting point and repeat the process until the dough is cohesive. Wrap in a foil and refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes (or anything up to 3 days).
2. Assemble galette: When ready, roll out galette dough on parchment paper (you may find it easier to roll the dough when covered with another sheet of parchment paper on top) into 0.2-0.3cm thin round shape (or anything close to it :). Place parchment paper with galette for 10-15 minutes into the freezer or refrigerator. In a meantime, preheat the oven to 200C, cut strawberries in halves (toss in cinnamon/sugar mixture if using) and toast nuts (5 minutes at 200C). When ready, take out galette, sprinkle pecans onto the bottom, stuck up strawberries tightly, leaving some 2-3cm border around the edges. Fold the edges of the pastry and pleat it. Place on the baking tray. Refrigerate for 10 minutes before baking. After that time apply egg wash on the edges of pastry and sprinkle with pearl sugar.
3. Bake at 200C for 25-30 minutes. If you see the fruit browning you may opt to lower the temperature to 180C in the last 5-8 minutes of baking. Once baked, take out from the oven and brush with apricot/peach glaze. Enjoy warm with a scoop of your favourite vanilla ice-cream.
1. Before baking this galette you may find this post on galette dough helpful.
2. Walnuts or pecans in this recipe work as a carrier of flavour but also prevent strawberries from letting out too much juice. In this way, you are reducing the risk of soggy bottom. If you decide not to use nuts - use breadcrumbs or semolina (2 Tablespoons).
3. If you can’t get pearl sugar - mix 1 Tablespoon white or light brown sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle on edges of the pastry.