Waffles - Base Recipe
Updated: Jan 10, 2019
Before making this waffle recipe check out few hints which you may find useful:
This is my favourite Base Recipe which I found in my mum’s old waffle maker (some 30 years ago :) After testing some other recipes I am sticking with my classic old version. Waffles from this recipe are crisp and full of big airy bubbles inside.
Yield: 15 waffles
Active time: 10 minutes prep + 30 min cooling + 3 minutes baking
Equipment: waffle maker
- 2 and 1/2 cups* full-fat milk, straight from the fridge
- 2/3 cup kefir, straight from the fridge - you can substitute with buttermilk or milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, straight from the fridge
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
*cup = 250ml cup
1. On low heat melt butter, set aside to cool. Sift flour with baking powder. Add milk, kefir, sugar, vanilla, egg, salt and mix together. At the end add melted butter. You want here fairly thick (heavy cream) consistency, which is going to set even further in the fridge. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking (don’t skip that step). After taking out from the fridge add 3 tablespoons of milk and stir the batter. The batter will be fairly thick and that's OK.
2. Preheat waffle maker (5-10 minutes) and bake until waffles are golden and crispy.
3. Serve with variety of toppings: Nutella, strawberries, blueberries (any seasonal fruit), freshly whipped double cream, maple syrup, marshmallows etc.